Tuesday 4 September 2012

I give up...


Number 245

Well, I'm afraid I just gave up in the end, it all became too much.  It wears away at you after a while and the law of diminishing returns kicks in, hard.  I started with such resolve and was determined to see it through but in the end it just didn't seem worth it.  I'll try something new and will still practice but there comes a point where you wonder why you bother.  Week in, week out, day in, day out, is there really any point?  I made my decision on Sunday and am now going public with it.

I had a new resolve at the beginning of the year, one that was strengthened by a sabbatical from my work as the pastor of a church.  It's an incredibly taxing job, whatever people might think, amazing highs and serious lows.  So it was good to take three months to recharge the batteries and I think I probably did some of my best work during this time, I had the time and space to do so.  I was able to keep things fresh for a few weeks after this as well but you (all too) soon get stuck into the old rut of not having the time or energy to do a proper job so I have quit.  A few good friends will be disappointed, they have been incredibly supportive and kind - you know who you are and I thank you - but I have no regrets about my decision. 

My project to take and post a photograph every day for the year has stalled and on 2nd September I had my first photo free day of the year.  My Project 366 became Project 245.  I just felt that the standard was heading downhill and I was posting rubbish in order to fulfil my quota.  I'm still as keen as ever, I just won't be wandering round the house at night thinking, "What can I take a photograph of tonight?"

I bow out with Number 245, Exeter City captain Danny Coles in the warm up before leading them to a terrific 3-0 win over Burton Albion.  We've moved up to second in the table. Early days but exciting ones too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment