Sunday 19 July 2009

How average am I?

A report in last month's Evangelicals Now says that the average FIEC pastor is:
  • 51 years old
  • been in ministry for nearly 17 years
  • works 56 hours a week
  • 6% are under 35
  • 40% are over 55
He (hardly a dangerous assumption) earns between £22,850 and £23,880 a year if he lives in his own house and about £4000 less if he lives in a manse.
I have no axe to grind here and am paid okay. No one comes into the ministry for the money - or the glamour, come to think of it. But is it any wonder that young fellas aren't attracted to serve in a church?

5 comments:

  1. Life in the church is hard but God didn't say it was going to be easy....You will not get the reward here on earth. God has greater plans - Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much better in C of E. 20K+ + house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, but look at the uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to dress up these days. The uniform is not very uniform. And don't you think it can look rather dashing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to my taste but I know that all my ordained Anglican friends go to work in their own clothes. I don't even own a collar.

    ReplyDelete