Wednesday 15 July 2009

Exeter v Spurs

I've followed Exeter City for a while now but really only in earnest for the last four seasons since returning to the West Country. So I've seen them lose in the Blue Square Premier at home to Burton who were bottom at the time and seen them win a thrilling match 3-2 against Leigh RMI and watched plenty of other sides you may not have heard of. What I am wanting to say is that I'm not just a good time Charlie. I have been to Crawley away. That said, I don't go every week, there's too much going on to arrange life around football, love it as I do. So I think I made about 9 games last season, including our 6-1 home defeat in the freezing cold versus Chesterfield.

BUT - these are exciting times to be an Exeter City fan because two years ago we were promoted back into the League. And then last year they only went and did it again, didn't they? So this year they line up in League 1, which sounds so much more impressive than the old Third Division. This means that they are now playing teams that my friends have heard of. Opening game of the season? Leeds United away. First cup game? QPR at home. First league home match? Norwich City. These are all teams my mother will have heard of. We have hit the big time.

And to kick it all off tonight Spurs came a visiting. A sell out! And I got seats via the website. And I felt too lousy to go. So Mrs A took the children and I will have to wait till later to see the new players and trialists that I've been reading about. Oh, yeah, and all those international superstars of Spurs. Seems like I will have to wait for the season proper to start. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment