Monday 18 August 2014

Getting there. Slowly

So much for regular updates.  I'm now two weeks further on in my programme to run my first half marathon.  Getting there, slowly, is an appropriate description of my progress.  Week Four and Five have generally seen me stick to the programme, making little discernible progress speed wise, but - like the Duracell bunny, I'm finding I am able to keep going a little longer each time.

You can find the details of the half marathon training programme. I am following by clicking the link.

I've just finished week 5, so yesterday I (very nearly) ran my furthest distance ever.  The schedule had me down for a seven mile run.  I diligently planned my route and all was good for about a mile and a half.  It was only then that I discovered that about a mile of the route I had so carefully plotted was along a very rough bridle-path, lots of deep furrows from farm traffic and not worth turning an ankle over.  So I walked a far bit of that mile and probably lost some time as a result.  But not much, I am very slow anyway.

I've never run further than 6.25 miles before - the length of 10km races I entered a couple of times.  That was twenty years ago and carrying a wee bit less wait too, so I even though I was forced to walk some of it, I was delighted to have done 7 miles yesterday.  Sore, but delighted.  The fact that I have to do 8 miles this Sunday is something to think about later in the week.

If you would like to sponsor me, this is the place to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment