Monday 1 April 2013

I read it in the Daily Mail


I realise that as a Baptist minister I have no right to comment on this.... but here goes anyway.

George Carey was probably a very good AB of C back in the day and probably did a lot of good.  However, I can't help thinking that if I was Justin Welby (and I'm sure I'm not the only one thanking the good Lord that I'm not) I'd be a bit miffed if I had Georgie boy in the background.  Imagine, your first Easter message; the chance to talk of new life, hope, resurrection.  But what are the headlines? George Carey has written an article for the Daily Mail on how Christians are being persecuted under the current government.

He (or the Daily Mail?) chose to use Good Friday to air these issues when I suspect that most Christians would rather be talking about Easter.  I don't think it was a great decision.  It's not as if I disagree with him particularly, it's just that the headlines suggest a church that is up in arms about being allowed to wear crosses to work and are opposing same sex marriage.  It is as if we are defined by what we stand against rather than what happened at Easter.  We seem to be characterised by complaining when our rights are infringed instead of sucking it up and proclaiming good news for the poor.

As an evangelical Christian, I want to be known for what I am in favour of - grace, mercy, peace, love, forgiveness - rather than for what I oppose.  I'm not sure how we turn that around, but I can't help thinking that it doesn't look right at the moment.

My views are my own, might well be wrong, and are probably not shared by my church.  The value of blog posts can go down as well as up.  Terms and conditions apply.

Blog post title courtesy of the wonderful "Dinner Ladies".

No comments:

Post a Comment