Saturday 21 April 2012

Exeter City 4 Walsall 2



Oh, it's the hope that kills you!  A fortnight ago it looked odds on that Exeter City would be down.  It still does, but they aren't yet.  Two weeks ago they were wonderful, beating Orient 3-0, today they win 4-2 having been pretty ordinary in the first half before putting Walsall to the sword.   In between they lost 3-2 at Rochdale, conceding three goals in the last 11 minutes.  You have to love being a football fan, don't you?  If only...

The event started bizarrely for me.  At the gate outside I am asked if I am interested in considering fostering by a man brandishing a leaflet.  Within 30 seconds I am inside the ground and being frisked, something that has never happened to me before at any football ground, let alone at Exeter City.  I am sitting in the family stand, there with my wife and daughter and a middle aged man - a soft target?  Not that there is a lot of trouble anywhere in the ground at Exeter, it is all a little disturbing and feels a bit unnecessary.   


The game leaves Exeter needing to win their last two games and for other results to go their way.  Still a long shot.  On Saturday Exeter have a local derby against Carlisle away (a mere 700 mile round trip).  Win that and it's Sheffield United at home on the last day of the season, the same day as the FA Cup final.  Even my Liverpool supporting favourite parishioner is torn over that one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment