Tuesday 29 January 2013

Luther, beer and the all sufficient God




Reminded of this quote from the reformer Martin Luther as I prepared my sermon on Psalm 118 last week (to tie in with verse 23, if you must know).  He clearly had a part to play in reforming the church but knew that, ultimately, it wasn't all down to him.  A good thing for me to remember after the last seven days.

"See how much he has been able to accomplish through me, though I did no more than pray and preach.  The Word did it all.   Had I wished I might have started a conflagration at Worms.  But while I sat still and drank beer with Philipp and Amsdorf, God dealt the Papacy a mighty blow."

Should we drink to that?!  "Here's to the all sufficient God; may he work through us all."

May we be blessed by times when we sit, sup, watch and marvel at the works of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment